Here at The Therapy Company, we are proud to be your private, independent psychiatrist. We are predominantly based in Preston and serve the local people of the North West. However, we do also provide online sessions which helps us to offer our mental health services throughout the UK. If you’re looking to book a consultation with an independent psychiatrist, please call us today on 01772 440321 or use our contact form.
In this latest blog post, we’ll be covering everything you need to know about working with an independent psychiatrist including:
• The benefits of private / independent psychiatry
• Adult psychiatry
• Child psychiatry
• Frequently asked questions
The Therapy Company have the best independent psychiatrists available with just two of our highly-experienced psychiatrists below. You can view all psychiatrists on our meet the team page here.
Dr Haroon Moosa
Dr Haroon Moosa, is Consultant Psychiatrist in Adult Psychiatry at Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust. He provides private consultations within The Therapy Company from our Garstang Road premises, Fulwood, Preston.
Having graduated in 1994 from Manchester university, he has been a consultant psychiatrist since 2002. Previous roles have been as Consultant Psychiatrist with Merseycare NHS Trust and Priory Healthcare.
His special interests are treatment resistant mood disorders, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, addiction disorders and stress. He also undertakes specialist work for medico-legal clients and Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) clients.
Professor PT Saleem
Professor Saleem is Consultant Psychiatrist with over 30 years’ experience of adult psychiatry in the NHS and Independent sector. He worked initially as Registrar in Northwest Deanery, then as Senior Registrar in the Yorkshire Deanery. He completed his career in the NHS after working for 28 years as consultant psychiatrist at Royal Blackburn Hospital in July 2011.
He has been in full time private practice since. Dr Saleem now operates private clinics at Beardwood Hospital Blackburn and with The Therapy Company, at our Garstang Road.
His special interests include all aspects of general psychiatry, alcohol addiction and medico legal work covering mental health law, mental capacity law, civil litigation, family law, employment law and criminal matters.
What is Independent Psychiatry?
Independent psychiatrists are medical doctors who are experts in treating a number of mental health conditions including Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Bipolar Disorders, and Addiction. Our highly-experienced team are able to diagnose disorders AND also provide on-going treatment to better manage symptoms and conditions. Furthermore, medication can also be prescribed if appropriate. Our team of consultants can also provide advice about lifestyle changes, refer you to other health professionals, and provide long-term mental health management. The first step is to book in for a psychiatry assessment. This is where our independent consultants will analyse your mental and physical health. You may also be asked questions about your medical history and current lifestyle choices.
Benefits Of Independent Psychiatry
So, what are the benefits of going private or independent? There are many benefits which we will cover below:
- Access To Highly-Experienced Psychiatrists – when you go private/independent, you’ll benefit from working with the best psychiatrists in your area. We have up to a dozen psychiatrists with combined experience of a few lifetimes. They have an abundance of experience with treating a plethora of mental health conditions including Bipolar Disorder and Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
- Much More Accessible – It’s no secret that when you seek psychiatry through the public sector and the NHS, waiting times are incredibly lengthy. However, when you go private, you are likely to be seen within just a few weeks. Going private will increase your chances of accessing the mental health support you need now, and not in the future.
- Find The Most Suitable Professional – When you go private/independent, you’ll have the opportunity to select the most suitable professional that you feel the most comfortable with. For example, particular psychiatrists have more experience with addictions whilst others have more experience with other segments of mental health conditions.
- Online Sessions Available – Although The Therapy Company are predominantly based in Preston, we are able to serve the entirety of the North West and beyond. This is due to our ability to provide fully-secure and safe online sessions. This may help you to save money and access highly-professional mental health support regardless of your location.
Dr Shahid Quraishi
Dr Shahid Quraishi graduated from Karachi, Pakistan in 1985 , after completing internship , he was trained in Psychiatry in the Ireland . After completing his basic specialist training , he continued with higher training in Midlands in the United Kingdom.
Later Dr Quraishi worked as associate specialist in transcultural psychiatry in Coventry Health Care Trust. In 2001 he moved as a consultant in the northwest of England in Lancashire & South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust where initially he served as a sector based consultant psychiatrist. In 2006 with changes in the service structure worked as a consultant in assertive outreach team, crisis resolution home treatment team and inpatient teams. More recently since October 2020 , he has been working as consultant psychiatrist in rehabilitation and low secure services in Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust. He is interested in teaching training and providing skill based training with user of CBT.
His clinical interests includes assessing and managing complex mood disorders, psychosis, anxiety and stress disorders, substance & alcohol misuse disorders, ADHD . ASD and undertakes medicolegal works related to mental disorders.
Dr Shahid M Ahmad
GMC Number: 3165601
I have also extensive experience in the management of the following disorders: –
- ADHD, Tourette’s Syndrome, Anxiety/Depressive Disorders
- School refusal / truancy, Drug / drink abuse and PTSD
- I am very experienced Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist working with young people with mental health difficulties, and neurodevelopmental disorders for more than 25 years.
- I have a special interest in young people with ADHD. I always take a family and systemic approach and work closely with parents and Education. I believe all children carry a lot of positive energy around them, and you can always make and help them to become more resilient.
If you’re looking for independent adult psychiatrists, The Therapy Company are here to help and professional mental health support. Adult psychiatry helps to diagnose and treat a number of mental health conditions for adults including addictions, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and panic attacks. Whether you’re looking for diagnosis, treatment, or a combination of the two, you would likely benefit. You can find out more about this service by visiting our dedicated page here.
As well as providing adult psychiatry, we also provide child psychiatry. Mental health problems can have a tremendous impact on a child’s development but with the help of an independent psychiatrist, they can be better managed and treated. Child psychiatry is typically offered to treat conditions including; ADHD in children, ASD, personality disorders, and phobias. On-going treatments and medications can be arranged by The Therapy Company. Find out more by visiting our dedicated page here.
- Depression and Anxiety disorders
- Personality disorders
- Adult ADHD
- ADHD in children
- Bipolar affective disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)
- Mental health in pregnancy
- Children and young person’s mental health disorders
- Older adults mental health disorders
- Dementia and memory disorders
- Child ASD Diagnosis
A psychiatric assessment is your initial assessment where your independent psychiatrist will assess the nature and severity of your mental health condition(s). Your medical history will also be evaluated here and you may be asked questions regarding your current thoughts, feelings, and emotions.
Great question. If you’re looking to benefit from almost immediate mental health support and you have the resources to do so, we highly recommend proceeding with private/independent psychiatry. Although the public sector provides an exceptional service, waiting time can be anywhere from six months – two years for mental health services.
Yes. As well as providing diagnosis and on-going treatment plans, such as therapy, psychiatrists are also able to provide medication if appropriate. This is why the initial assessment is so important to understand your specific medical needs and requirements.